If I Had a Potato
Make a list with your child of all the things you could
do with a potato. Below are a few ideas:
1) Make French fries.
2) Make potato chips.
3) Bake it.
4) Sing – “One potato, two potato, etc.”
5) Grow more potatoes.
6) Plan a potato relay.
7) Make potato prints.
8) Make potato salad.
9) Make mashed potaoes.
10) Play “Hot Potato”
11) Cut it open and grow grass seeds on top.
12) Make potato soup.
WOULD I DO WITH A PUMPKIN?
Have your child help you brainstorm all the things you
could do with a pumpkin.
Divide a large piece of paper into 4 parts and have her
draw her four favorite pumpkin activities.
1) Make a Jack-o-lantern
2) Make a pie
3) Bake pumpkin seeds
4) Paint a face on it
5) Use shell to make design prints
6) Carve name on pumpkin
7) Roll it down a hill
8) Enter it in a pumpkin contest
9) Make pumpkin milkshakes
10) Make pumpkin muffins
11) Use carved out pumpkin for flower vase.
12) Bake stuffing in.
WHAT COULD YOU DO WITH AN APPLE?
Have your children help you make a list of all the things
you could do with an apple.When you are done, have everyone
illustrate one of the suggestions and turn the pictures
into an apple book.
1) Make apple sauce
2) Cut and make star prints.
3) Make red smiles. (Slice of apple stuck in mouth)
4) Dip in caramel to eat.
5) Make apple muffins
6) Bake them
7) Give one to a friend
8) Eat it
9) Slice it and dry it
10) Make an apple pie
11) Count the seeds inside.
12) See if it floats
13) Make an apple salad.
I am sure your children will think of more and better
TWELVE POPSCICLE STICKS
Set out twelve popscicle sticks and ask your child how
many things he could think of to do with the twelve sticks.
Here are some suggestions:
1) Use them for puppet handles.
2) Use them for drum sticks.
3) Make four triangles.
4) Make three frames.
5) Glue together to make a raft.
6) Use to make play dough people.
7) Make popscicles with
8) Glue around a soup can.
9) Use as markers in the garden.
10) Glue on wings to make dragon flies.
11) Color like snakes; glue on red yarn tongues.
12) Glue on paper in the shape of a house.
WHAT CAN YOU DO TO COOL OFF WHEN IT'S HOT?
Make up a list with your children of different things
they can think of that they like to do on hot days to
stay cool. Here are some suggestions.
1) Sit under a shade tree.
2) Run through the sprinkler.
3) Make a fan.
4) Drink a cool drink. (Make lemonade)
5) Make popsicles
6) Sit under an umbrella
7) Go swimming
8) Eat an ice cream cone
9) Wear shorts
10) Go barefoot
11) Sit in front of a fan (or air conditioning)
12) Sit in the basement
When you write down a suggestion by your children, discuss
with them just how this method helps cool them down. You
may want to expand this discussion into how do animals